IoT Asset Tracking
Workforce Security Redefined
Kemsys bringing Wearable IoT to Workspace
It has always been a big challenge to ensure field workers’ safety, track them remotely and, achieve better regulatory compliance. Industries are constantly looking to execute the activities of an industrial or field worker more effectively while improving efficiencies, reducing non-productive work and providing a safe work environment. The convergence of global industrial systems with advanced technologies like wearables, low-cost sensors and data analytics not only connect machinery but also field workers including laborers, fire fighters and mine workers with a centralized system. An IoT-enabled connected worker solution brings monitoring capabilities to the next level that make workplaces more efficient, transparent, safe and productive.
Kemsys, being the market leader in offering innovative IoT solutions using low cost, low power BLE & LoRa nodes, had in-house designed BLE-4.0, BLE-4.1, BLE-4.2, BLE-5.0 modules, LoRa modules, LoRa gateways in its kitty, and manufactured by its parent company Kaynes in big numbers. Kemsys decided to put these BLE nodes & LoRa nodes together as a solution – to gain real-time visibility in to worker health and safety, and planned for SmartBelt that can detect where a factory worker is and buzz them if they wander into a dangerous or restricted zone. That’s where Kemsys comes in.
The solution is tested at large scale, in one of the biggest automobile plants, owned by an Indian multinational conglomerate, well known for salt to airlines.
Wearable Safety Belt Design
Kemsys has designed whole solution around BLE beacons for Local Connectivity & LoRa module for remote connectivity. Vibration sensor is added to provide feedback whenever worker enter the hazardous area (or) remains for long time in such area. SoS button is added to report & seek emergency help. Safety belt internal memory is programmed to load & store geofences of gaseous & hazardous areas.
The solution works like this. BLE beacons are deployed across the factory floor & campuses, and programmed to be in advertisement / transmitter mode, and periodically beaconing; whereas BLE beacon in safety belt is programmed to be in scan mode. As and when, safety belt receives the beacons from neighboring fixed beacons, the safety belt firmware calculates the worker exact location using multi-point average technique. The safety belt firmware verifies whether the worker is in safe area / hazardous area, by comparing against stored geo-fences and accordingly notifies user by turning on belt vibrations. The safety belt is programmed to sync the current worker location, battery level (as and when it comes across different beacons) with remote LoRa Server (over Public / Private).
- Define & store Geofences to track violations
- In-built vibration sensor to alert the worker
- SoS button for check-ins and emergency calling
- Indoor Navigation
Safety Belt Smart Features & Use Cases
Safety belt is carefully designed to be battery powered & low-power, and our field trails shows that battery lasts for more than one week, once it is fully charged. This solution helped our customer in realizing their objectives with ease.
- Tracking workers: SmartBelt can detect where a factory worker is and buzz them if they wander into a dangerous or restricted zone.
- Tracking unexpected accidents in the field: exactly where, and when, in some cases to certain extent “why” by looking at data
- Improved worker performance: Reporting manager can see “where” employee spends their day, minute by minute. The dashboard can also rank employees based on criteria you choose, so employees who are under-motivated have a reason to work harder and rise in the ranks. With our next generation safety belt, supervisor can also track their workers – “How” they spend daily.
- Record violations of restricted areas: Whenever worker enters the geo fence / restricted areas, the solution records such violations, and for how much time it has been violated, and notifies the security officer & reporting manager. Also, captures the count in to & out of geo fence ring, and continuously updates the dashboard.
- Worker Check-Ins: Safety belt contains SoS button, also called contact button. Workers can utilize this contact button as check-in button on prescribed intervals. Supervisor, who is at far, can verify same. If worker misses check-in, the cloud can send alerts to security or supervisor.
- Emergency Calling: The same contact button can also be used to call for assistance in case of emergency by pressing and holding for 3 seconds.
Customizing further to detect worker in-activity / lack of motion
Buoyed by the field success, and critical acclaim received from the market, Kemsys planned next series of innovations & use-cases by adding few more sensors like accelerometer & activity sensors to monitor worker bend & twist.
- Inactivity set for 3 minutes, so belt vibrates if no activity in that time
- Employee has to acknowledge vibration by pressing contact button within 60 seconds after vibration
- If no acknowledgement, belt notifies security or supervisor
Kemsys Remote Device Management Platform played big role in remote monitoring
Kemsys team has IoTified all safety belts, and integrated LoRa network servers with Microsoft Azure IoT Hub. Kemsys team has ensured that all vital data points are collected & stored in Azure cloud end-points & Kemsys RDM software (Kemsys IP & Accelerator) played big role in this digital transformation.
Kemsys team has quickly came up with intuitive cloud application that helps in following:
- Admins can create geofences
- Supervisors can track their workers & where they spend their day, minute by minute
- Automatic buzz & alerts to supervisors & workers